Thanks for your interest in joining the Oak Hill School community. This page will be updated as job and career opportunities become available, so be sure to check back periodically. If you have questions about job postings, please refer first to the Employment FAQs below. If the FAQs do not help, contact Beth Sprague (Business Affairs & Human Resources) at email@example.com or call 541.744.0954.
Pre-School Director & After-School Coordinator
Oak Hill School is preparing to open a new Preschool Program and is soliciting resumes to fill the position of Director/Lead Teacher & After-School Coordinator. This experienced and qualified faculty hire will be responsible for the close supervision of children in a high quality, stimulating, developmentally-appropriate classroom. As Lead Teacher, the Preschool Director will be tasked with creating, planning, and the implementation of curriculum that meets children’s social-emotional, physical, cognitive, creative, and all other developmental needs in a play-based but educational environment.
The Preschool Director reports directly to the Director of Auxiliary Programs, but works under the guidance of the Assistant Head of School.
The ideal applicant loves being with children and enjoys working collaboratively with others. The candidate will have a unique blend of experience and skills with regard to early childhood education. The candidate will be skilled in facilitating transitions, teaching school-ready behaviors, and able to continue a positive rhythm from the preschool program to afterschool care. The applicant will be creative, energetic and positive.
Daily schedule may start as early as 10:30 a.m. and end as late at 6:00 p.m., Monday through Friday; with overtime as required.
Essential Functions – Faculty Pre-K
- Plans, prepares and implements an emergent, developmentally-appropriate curriculum that meets the social, emotional, physical, cognitive, and creative developmental needs and interests of children aged 4-5 to prepare them for Kindergarten.
Essential Functions – After School Program
- Creates and implements fun and engaging developmentally appropriate activities in the areas of academics, character development, project-based learning and fitness and recreation.
- Create an engaging environment for a mixed-age group of children.
Essential Functions – General
- Develops and maintains a positive, supportive relationship with parents and co-workers.
- Maintains an attractive, uncluttered physical environment conducive to the optimal growth and development of children.
- Utilizes positive and effective classroom and behavior management techniques that focus on natural, logical, and immediate consequences.
- Attends to the safety of each child by enforcing the Oak Hills safety rules and by intervening where there is likelihood of injury.
- Develop a nurturing relationship with the children, providing comfort and guidance when needed.
- Treat children with dignity and respect, enhancing each child’s self-concept and providing opportunities for success.
- Assist children with self-care activities, problem-solving, and helping them be aware of their roles as integral members of a group.
- Consider individual children and their families in relation to their cultural and socioeconomic background and reflect this awareness in the classroom environment and activities.
- Maintain confidentiality and share information appropriately with other staff members.
- And any other duties assigned, including assisting children with self-care, and housekeeping activities.
- Help maintain an organized and efficient system for children’s records and files.
- Attend and contribute to staff meetings as appropriate.
- Support parent/teacher conferences by contributing to written observations on a daily information sheet for parents.
- Assume an equal share of the joint housekeeping responsibilities of the staff.
- Participate in training programs, conferences, courses, and other aspects of professional growth.
- Insure supplies and material are ordered in advance and adequate for materials and lessons planned.
- And any other duties assigned.
Required Education, Knowledge, and Skills
- Degree in Early Childhood Education, Child Development, Elementary Education, or related degree preferred OR
- A one-year state or nationally recognized credential related to preschool-age care OR
- At least one year of qualifying teaching experience, with at least one year as a teacher in a preschool classroom at a certified child care center OR
- Any satisfactory combination of the above qualifications. Candidates with a broad range of experience and skills are encouraged to apply.
- Practical understanding of early childhood development and education.
- Knowledge and experience in the development and implementation of a high quality developmentally appropriate curriculum.
- Knowledge of positive behavior management techniques.
Skills and Abilities
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in the English language
- Friendly, self-motivated, even-tempered, and a team player
- Effective organizational skills
- Reliable, consistent and enthusiastic about early childhood education
- Possession of or ability to obtain:
1. Successful background check and insurable driving record required
2. Valid Pediatric First Aid/CPR/AED Card for Infants, Children & Adults
3. Food Handler’s Card
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit, stand, walk, bend, kneel, speak, hear communicate, reach, and manipulate objects.
- The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds, including lifting and carrying children.
- The employee must occasionally manipulate items of 50 pounds such as moving/rearranging furniture and equipment.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision and depth perception.
- Ability to work with many distractions and disruptions and still accomplish their objectives and meet established deadlines.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The noise level in the work environment is usually loud and is a standard acceptable level for this environment. Teachers are directly responsible for students’ safety and well-being.
The statements contained herein describe the scope of the responsibility and essential functions of this position and may be amended or modified by Oak Hill School at any time at its sole discretion, but should not be considered to be an all-inclusive listing of work requirements. Individuals may perform other duties as assigned, including work in other areas to cover absences or relief to equalize peak work periods or otherwise balance the workload.
To apply please forward a current resume and cover letter which outlines how your experience and skills meet the qualifications of this position to firstname.lastname@example.org in PDF format.
This position is available immediately. For full consideration please submit your materials prior to August 10, 2019. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
Applicants need not be currently certified for full-time teaching positions at Oak Hill, although it is recommended. A successful candidate or applicant will demonstrate a strong history of teaching experience, the ability to work in a highly-collaborative environment, and the ability to effectively differentiate their instruction.
To be on our substitute teacher list, you need to apply as you would any other teaching position.
Salary for both regular and part-time faculty and staff will be based upon experience, certifications, and other qualifications.
Non-teaching staff positions are also listed on this page as they become available. Eligibility requirements for these positions are the same, other than licensing requirements.